Call for Panel Submissions
Panel submissions are now open for the 2019 Gemini Ink Writers Conference: Negotiating Place!
As artists, we ask ourselves “where do we do our best work?”
As humans, we wonder “where do our words fit into the larger conversation?”
As literary citizens, we are called to live and write in ways that represent ourselves, our languages, our communities, our cultures.
The idea of ‘place’--and the conversations that surround it--continues to evolve and present new challenges. It can mean the chair we sit in to do our writing, the various settings that our words seek to evoke, or the way we engage with our perception of this beautiful, turbulent world. As we explore the internal and external landscapes that shape our stories on the page, we sometimes need a guide to help us find our way.
We invite students, teachers, writers, and literary scholars of all disciplines to submit panels that connect in some way with this conversation.
The conference, which will be held July 19-21, at San Antonio’s historic El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel and various offsite locations throughout the city, features three days of innovative panels, workshops, readings and more! Our featured writers include Analicia Sotelo, Andre Dubus III, Ira Sukrungruang, Camille Acker, and Pablo Miguel Martinez, with a keynote address by Andrea VOCAB Sanderson.
Each panel will last one hour and ideally consist of two to five panelists offering a range of perspectives on the theme or topic addressed. We welcome a range of approaches to the conference theme. See our website for more details on panel submissions, which close on May 15th. Reconnecting with the dialogue that began at the 2018 Writers Conference on writing the new century, Gemini Ink invites you to join us as we seek to reconcile the writer’s sense of place.
Gemini Ink will review and accept panels on a first come, first served basis.
A maximum of thirty proposed panels will be accepted.
Once you have developed your proposal, you may upload it as a PDF or Word Document through the Submittable link provided below.
To be considered, panel proposals must be uploaded to Submittable by 11:59pm PST, Wednesday, May 15th.
In order to submit your panel proposal, provide the following information in a PDF or Word file:
1. Title of panel
2. Length of presentation
3. Submitted by
4. List of panelists names
5. Emails for each of the panelists
6. A brief description of your panel, at a maximum of 75 words
7. A brief bio for each presenter, at a maximum of 50 words
8. Participants availability during conference hours, Sat July 20–Sun, July 21 (9-5pm each day)
9. A complete list of technical needs: Keep in mind that we have limited space for presentations requiring a laptop, projector, and screen set-up. Only request this if it is absolutely essential for your panel. Tabletop mics will be available as needed.
If your panel is accepted, panelists will receive:
· a discounted conference attendance rate and reduced early bird registration--prices coming soon!
· the option to attend a writing workshop with one of the featured writers for an additional discounted price.
· reduced hotel rates for presenters and attendees at a nightly rate of $112 at El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel, which includes a free buffet breakfast. This special conference rate is available through July 5th, 2018.
For questions, please contact Patrick Stockwell, Literary Programs Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (210) 734-9673.